It's not superficial like "I just want to enjoy a work life balance"

/
0 Comments
Yes, it is way more than what it says on the surface. In fact, it is nothing near that for me. 

Whenever I come across articles or overhear conversations about how the millennials seek for more work life balance, my insides cringe. Doesn't this imply that younger generations simply want more freedom, that we want to play as hard as we work, that we can't handle too much workload?

For me, not any one of those reasons is valid.
It has nothing to do with the different generations, young or old.

As much as I strive my best to contribute to the company, to the society, I don't want to leave myself with regret and guilt. Time, unlike money or water, can't be saved or recycled. With each passing day, I'll never have an answer to "Is today my last day alive?", "Is this week my last week alive?", or even "Is this year my last year alive?" Point is I've absolutely no idea when would be the last day I bid goodbye forever to my family. It could be tomorrow, next week, next month or many years later. God knows. No, it should be no one knows. 

Every morning from the moment I wake up, I'm plagued with making decisions, trivial or major. If I decide to slog my guts out for work and leave so little time for my family, what if today was my last day alive? Would I rejoice that I've worked so hard or would I regret that I could have spent more time with the people I love?

I don't wish for when that day arrives, I find myself harboring the second thought.


You may also like

No comments:

Contributors

Live by this

Live by this